Tuesday, August 25, 2009

a day of total insanity

Today was THE day. So much happened. It was INSANE!

The entire day has gone by in a huge blur. It feels like we crammed three days worth of stuff into just a few hours, but it is so nice to be able to sit and write, make my bed, and start unpacking.

I can't believe I'm in Florida, of all places. And within miles of Walt Disney World. And, that I am not just here for a week to have fun with my family, but I am here. To work, and to learn, and to start doing things! INSANE!

My mom and I had quite a drive on our way down. I was so lucky and blessed to have her with me — to stay in hotels with me, to stop for gas in the middle of nowhere at 11:30 at night when the light started blinking, to let me take a nap when I got a headache, to go to Mass with me at a little church in Tallahassee, to sit at Starbucks with me and drink coffee as we checked our email after conquering connecting to WiFi, to listen as I talked her ears off when I was on a MAJOR caffeine high, to eat Blizzards with me in the car (Oreo for me, and of course, super extreme chocolate for Mom), and to reassure me over and over again that this is a good thing for me to do, even when I doubted this decision and myself.

We finally got here, (with way too many highway miles behind us) and got settled in our convenient but not quite as comfortable hotel room. We drove around, checked out the destinations for today, and then met some of the new hopeful roommates and their families.

It felt like we hardly slept at all when we crashed last night and got up for the whirlwind of craziness today! I wish we had a better plan, but it was basically... get there early, hope we room together, and then just... do what they say. And let me tell you — they have had a LOT to say. Mom had to go sit in some parent tent while we did paperwork and got assigned apartments and roommates, got keys, parking decals, and then meeting times for the rest of the day. About an hour later, I met back up with her and her FREE Disney coffee, and we unloaded just a couple loads of stuff before I had to go wait for a bus to take us to the Casting office.

I found out that I will be working at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe, for my Quick-Service Food and Beverage role. For those of you who don't have a WDW map handy, that is in Tomorrowland of the Magic Kingdom. I'm sure I'll find out more at my training day, what Disney calls "Traditions," that I will be on the bus to at 6:45 am on Wednesday morning. Insane? I KNOW.

Before we left for all that at the Casting office, I had to ask Mom to go pick up the rest of our luggage and check us out of the hotel — which I should have insisted we do earlier, but had no idea what was in store! I made her promise me that she wouldn't unload the billion boxes and things from my car up to our THIRD FLOOR apartment, but what would you expect? When she came to pick me up later, she was driving an empty Trailblazer.

She said she got "bored."

So yes, even after a whole weekend of driving and sitting while I drove... my mom unloaded all my stuff for me. I'm just so grateful, I feel like I have to tell the WHOLE WORLD! :D My mom is the best.

No wonder it was so hard to drive her to the airport, but I knew a plane was waiting to take her back to Texas... and that my dad and sisters might need her there, too. We stopped for a good lunch, hit up those toll booths like pros, and I had to drop her at the curb so I could rush back for another dang meeting. I hate goodbyes. I think we both do.

It was a decent but unfamiliar drive back — I'm also very thankful for my GPS — and we walked to another apartment complex for our Housing orientation. Long, typical, but necessary... and then it was nearly 5:30, only eleven hours since we got up to start all the insanity, and we were done for the day.

Went to Downtown Disney tonight for dinner and shopping, and to walk the whole place. I'm loving my new roommates more with every hour that passes, and I know that I am blessed to have walked into such a good situation.

I have finally made my bed, but I think a shower is the last thing on today's crazy itinerary. The first of many, I'm sure. Oh, one more thing... this was my horoscope when I logged onto Yahoo for today... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment